Re: What do you think?

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 09:27:58AM +0800, Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:

>     JN> Are you implying that I need a kernel patch to use an
>     JN> unpatched libc?  I'm running 2.1.122 at the moment.
>
>   No, it isn't that simple :) You need a patched kernel to be able to
> use a patched libc that will work on either 2.0 or 2.1. If you have
> either an unpatched kernel or an unpatched libc (or both), then you'll
> need a different libc for a 2.1 kernel to the libc for a 2.0. Clear?
> ;)
>
>   The URL that I mentioned in the previous message is for a 2.1 only
> libc that will work with apps compiled against a 2.0 libc.
>
> m.
>
> PS: Did I mention recompiling everything?

Are you talking about glibc versions above (2.0, 2.1) or kernel versions?

First of all, what is the real problem?  The lchown syscall?  How is it
broken and what else is affected?

I'm lost.  I'm using 2.1.x kernels.  What do I need to do to make
everything work?  More importantly, what steps must be taken to fix this
for Debian/Alpha in general without breaking everything?  And what has
RedHat done about this?

Thanks

Jeff