Re: Debian/Alpha suggestions

On Tue 22 Sep 1998, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Bob McElrath wrote:
>
> > As I have time I will generate more specific bug reports for the
> > maintainers.  I didn't write down *every* error message I came by (besides,
> > they scrolled by so *fast!* ;)
>
> When you get a chance, just forward a good list (best you can do) to this
> list and we'll all grab a chunk and fix it.  I'm going to try to get
> another dependency audit report soon, so most of that should pop up too.

Also look at http://www.nl.debian.org/lintian/reports/depcheck.html

A lot of those problems are due to the stuff in oldlibs. I'll file a bug
report today against ftp.debian.org to get those removed. I'll also have
libjpegg-dev_6a removed (everything I rebuilt with libjpeg-6b works fine).

> > In general, it seems a horrible idea to make versions part of the names of
> > packages.  Some are named things like jdk1.1, and some even worse, like
> > blah3.4-08-23-1998.  It seems to me that dates as part of the package names
> > also destroys dependencies.
>
> Yes and no.  They are named that way mostly because the x86 maintainers
> wanted to install more than one version of each lib for various reasons.
> Plus, they went through the libc5 -> glibc changeover which necessitated
> some ugliness on that front.

Besides, "we" (the alpha people) don't change package names; they are
the same on the i386 platform, where (in theory) it should all be OK...

> > Perhaps the XSuSE server might be distributed with debian-alpha for those of
> > us using things like Matrox cards?
>
> Not a bad idea.  I'd actually like to see alot of changes to xfree's
> servers, but can't find the patches that we were applying to the original

I was under the impression that the XSuSE stuff was put back into the
core XFree86 stuff? From http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html :

  S.u.S.E. is releasing all of these servers in close cooperation with
  their authors and with The XFree86 Project. Of course, all of them will
  be integrated into future versions of XFree86, like it has happened with
  XSuSE_Matrox or XSuSE_NVidia in XFree86-3.3.2 (see detailed list below).

  [...]

  Except for the server for 3DLabs based cards (XSuSE_Elsa_GLoria), all of
  our servers have been integrated into servers of XFree86-3.3.2. Here is
  a list, which XFree86-Servers do now contain which former XSuSE-Server:

  XSuSE-Server       XFree86-3.3.2

   XSuSE_At3d     ->  xsvga
   XSuSE_Mach64   ->  xmach64
   XSuSE_Matrox   ->  xsvga
   XSuSE_Nvidia   ->  xsvga
   XSuSE_Trident  ->  xsvga
   XSuSE_Tseng    ->  xsvga

> tarballs :(  What is the licensing on the XSuSE server right now?

>From the same page:

  The servers are freely available, the copyright is basically subject to
  the terms of the XFree86 copyright.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org