ncurses troubles

Having trouble with the default install of ncurses:

When using apps that use ncurses, it appears that they often don't register
keystrokes immediately.  For instance, I type a command, and the application
doesn't register it until 3 successive keystrokes later.  I've noticed this
in vi and a recently compiled version of pine (which is why I know the
problem is ncurses).  It seems to register things every 4 keystrokes, so if
I type a command, and then ctrl-L (which is supposed to redraw the screen)
thrice, I can see the result of the command.  I have seen the exact same
behavior in the console and in an xterm and in an rxvt.

Anyone else seen this?  I'll recompile/reinstall ncurses soon and let you
know my mileage...

-- Bob

 / Rube Goldberg? Bah! Amateur! I give you..Windows 98! Linux everywhere \
| Linux, because everyone's work is mission critical.   ANYTHING inside.  |
|_Bob McElrath (mcelrath@wisconsin.cern.ch) Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison_|