Re: Preparing for the freeze (was: Obsolete packages in main/oldlibs)

                                [...]
Paul> Please explain about "the libjpeg debacle" ?  I'm wondering if
Paul> we don't have the same problem :-) [...]

I sincerely hope not.  Here's an extract from the RedHat errata:

    (10-Jun-1998) libjpeg was shipped with an improper soname which
    could cause problems with binaries not shipped with Red Hat Linux
    5.1. In addition, binaries built against libjpeg on Red Hat Linux
    5.1 might have problems running on non Red Hat systems. Problems
    also occur when packages are built on a machine with these
    libraries.

It affected so many packages (nearly 30 packages on Intel, Alpha &
Sparc architectures) that they put up a special errata page at
<http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh51-errata-libjpeg.html>.

                                Aargh.

--
 Robin Stephenson