Re: Preparing for the freeze (was: Obsolete packages in main/oldlibs)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Wojtek Puchar wrote:

> RH compilers are buggy, so what !? Should debian have buggy egcs too ??
> I think it's better to release final version later, instead of releasing
> it buggy.

Yes and no.  Paul has a fantastic point in that there are NO US-based
alternatives to RedHat on the Alphas right now aside from DEC Unix.  No
offence to the people at RedHat, but from what I've noticed, the quality
of the rest of the distribution is suffering since they went to glibc,
mostly IMO due to lack of competition.  I think a release is in order.
We've all been working hard here for over a year towards a release and
without more widestream feedback, we can't improve the distribution.

As for egcs, I'm not particularly concerned with the problems.  There is
no better choice for compilers on the Alpha right now and it's not as
buggy as we make it seem sometimes.  I'm always knee-deep in egcs, so I
can rant alot about problems, but chances are that 9/10ths of the users
won't ever run into the ones that I do.