Re: dpkg 1.4.0.22.1 bug

On Fri 22 May 1998, Carlos Carvalho wrote:

> Second, this isn't a library problem. If the kernel changed
> applications have to cope with it, for the better or the worse.

Yup.

I looked at a strace output for a dpkg that goes wrong. While unpacking
the tar file, it does symlink() and then chown()s the symlink, and THEN
creates the file the symlink it points to.  Unpacking the same tar file
with regular tar doesn't give this problem, so it's IMHO clearly a dpkg
problem as it tries to handle tar files but fails to do so correctly.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands