Re: new root and base disks available!

Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:

> On Tue 12 May 1998, Wes Bauske wrote:
>
> > Tulip.o does a much better job handling non-DEC Enet cards.
> > de4x5 basically works only on real DEC HW. If you use
> > de4x5, it won't work on my systems and lots of other people's.
> > Tulip is preferred by most people running 21x4x on Alpha,
> > particularly those using 100B-TX.
> > I believe most people using Linux Alpha are running on non-DEC
> > systems. Note MB is a DEC design but, it doesn't usually have
> > a built in Enet which leaves selection up to the buyer.
>
> That may be, but this was a rescue disk for the udb-noname, which only
> comes with the onboard network...

Which leads to a possible solution: can't we use the de4x5 driver for
the UDB install kernel, and stay with the more generally useful tulip
driver for the other platforms?  Or is this too much work?  I'd expect
most everyone with a UDB to use the onboard DEC ethernet, while all
the others might have better hardware.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk * jolk@ap-pc513b.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de * +49-721-608-3572