trouble booting kernels 2.1.100, 2.1.101: fixed file name length

The problem I was having in booting the new kernel was the length of
the file name.  If the file name to boot is

sdc4:vmlinux.gz.2033

it boots fine.  If the file name is

sdc4:vmlinux.gz.21101

it does not boot, but gives the error message

attempt to access beyond end of device

If I do 'cp vmlinux.gz.21101 test.gz'

and boot as

sdc4:test.gz

it unzips and starts the boot process.  However, there is still
something else wrong since the nothing appears the screen once the new
kernel takes over, but I can hear the disk drive working as if if were
booting.  Perhaps I am required to set the VGA / console option at the
end of the config?

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |