RAMDISK trouble on Miata (PWS500a)?

Hi all,

I now have my long-awaited Personal Workstation 500a (aka Miata) here
... and of course I want to put Debian on it after having used it for
several years on all PCs I touch (with great pleasure :).

My problem is that I have not found a Debian RAMDISK image that works.

I can use the RedHat, Digital (from gatekeeper), or Debian MILO and Rescue
disks (the Debian ones with the kernel replaced with the latest Miata
kernel since I did not find a Miata-specific Debian kernel), and the bug is
the same.

I boot with

	MILO> boot fd0:/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

and type return after having inserted the RAMDISK always results in

followed by some reading.  But then...

* if the ramdisk is the REDHAT one then it comes up.

* if the ramdisk is the DEBIAN one then it stops with

	[MSDOS ...]
	unaligned trap 0xffffff....

I suppose it is the RAMDISK because it happens with all the kernels - I can
even boot the RedHat ramdisk from the Debian rescue disk.

Thanks for any assistance,
			   Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026