Re: broken bash!

On Wed 08 Apr 1998, Ferenc Kiraly wrote:

> Today I used dselect as usual to get a new set of updates of Debian alpha,
> and after unpackaging bash_2.01.1-1.deb bash refuses to work. Everything
> after that failed with a core dump. I don't believe I will be able to log in
> in the future. Will I have to reinstall?? That would *really* be a pain.

This was posted this morning in debian-devel:

:bash_2.01.1-1 is lacking a pre-depends on libreadlineg2_2.1-8, and will start
:segfaulting if you just let dselect do an upgrade, which kills all subsequent
:package installs.
:
:The fix is to upgrade to libreadlineg2_2.1-8 by hand before running dselect.

A reinstall shouldn't be necessary...

I think in your case, you should boot with the rescue disk, mount your
root filesystem somewhere, and copy over the /bin/bash from the rescue
disk over the newly installed version. That's if there _is_ a bash on
the rescue disk... Otherwise copy over whatever shell is on the rescue
disk as /bin/bash.  That should let you boot from your real root disk,
after which you can start the real damage control (i.e. installing
libreadlineg2_2.1-8 and then bash again).

I'm assuming here that you don't still have the bash running that was
active before you "upgraded" bash; that shell should still work. That
way you might be able to restore an older copy of bash (you have
backups, right? :-) (sorry) ). If you want, I could mail you a copy of
the older bash (I have the 2.01-5 .deb here).

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands