new alpha installation

Hi,

I was having trouble getting debian to boot on a new alpha machine
yesterday. I've been playing around with it some and I'd like to make the
question more specific. I read the MILO manual and the debian nano-HOWTO
for installation and followed the instructions. When I try to boot the
machine from a rescue disk via MILO, ie:

boot fd0:/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

MILO finds the scsi devices and then apparently tries to read the floppy
drive and fails spectacularly regardless of what rescue or kernel disk I
put there. I get errors like:

"VFS: Disk change detected on 2:00"

"Could not read filesystem on floppy0"

usually followed by a long list of numbers and errors which repeats 4 or 5
times before I get the MILO prompt back again. At that points, I have to
reboot since the system won't reliquish the disk drive. The loader says
that the system is an "AlphaPC 164LX" and Linux says in /proc/cpuinfo
that the cpu type is "EB164" and the system variation is "LX164". The
rescue floppies I've tried so far are the "multia" and "noname" but it
doesn't look to me like MILO even gets to the kernel on the floppy. Does
anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks...

Jesse Goldman