Re: Kernel & PPP woes.

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Doug DeJulio wrote:

> Well, I finally got my UDB reinstalled from scratch, and I documented the
> install procedure (including the hack I had to use to get dselect to work off
> ftp.us.debian.org via PPP).  The problem is, I can't reproduce the procedure.

Hmmm...well, if you could, send me what you wrote and I'll pluck out the
"generic" stuff for the installation nano-HOWTO :)

> You see, I built my own custom kernel a while back.  I didn't do anything
> tricky, but only with that kernel was I able to get PPP and everything else
> working -- but with that kernel, my ethernet didn't work.  So, I rebuilt
> 2.0.33 with the apropriate patches, and 2.1.77, and neither of those works
> properly.  With 2.0.33 I can't use PPP (I remember this problem from earlier
> -- I can only get PPP working with 2.1 kernels), and I couldn't get 2.1.77 to
> boot at all.

2.1.77 is problematic from what I've heard.  I haven't heard any
complaints on the Intels, but the Alphas seem to barf during boot with it.
I'm currently using 2.1.72 which I had to patch to get it to compile
properly (I'll mail you the patch on request -- it's simple).  With
2.1.72, my UDB has been rock solid.  I don't use PPP on it, though, since
it's directly on the Internet.

> (Furthermore, with all the kernels I could find on the FTP site, my ethernet
> won't work.  It's the tulip chipset, and I'm using BNC, and I think that's the
> problem.  It looks like the driver tries 10baseT and then AUI, and stops
> there.)

For the UDB's, you want to pick the DE4x5 driver.  It works great (much
better than the tulip driver) and won't cause a billion unaligned accesses
:)

> Anyway, what's the best 2.1-series kernel to use on a Multia these days?  Once
> I get this system working as the house router again, I'll upload the install
> document.

If you'd like, let me know what you want and I'll compile a kernel for you
or send you my patches and my .config for my UDB.  I don't use alot of the
options that you probably will, but it will at least be set up for the
hardware well.  Plus, it'll boot :)

Chris