Re: Alphastation 200 and debian

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 12:41:59AM +0000, Stuart Krivis wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:57:54 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 11:48:57AM +0000, Stuart Krivis wrote:
> >>
> >> I have been running RH 5.1 on an Alphastation 4/200. I am getting kind
> >> of tired of the hassle of maintaining a system with rpm....
> >>
> >> So, I ordered debian 2.02 from lsl.com on CD. I want to install it
> >> with the minimum trouble. Can anyone point me toward some resources so
> >> I can start figuring it out before the CD arrives?
> >
> >I'm not aware that the alpha version has been shipped on CD.  I think,
> >I'll even go out on a limb, it definitely has not.
>
> They claim they have it, and that it went out in the post today.
>

> >If you have decent access to the net, you can download just the
>
> multiple T-3s and T-1s. :-)
>
> >install stuff from one of the mirrors and then do an ftp install.
> >Start by looking in the file README.mirrors.txt on a debian mirror,
> >e.g.
> >
> >  <URL:ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/debian/README.mirrors.txt>
>
> I really prefer to have the CD, and it was only a few dollars. I've
> done a number of FreeBSD installs over the net, and one debian. Debian
> is lacking in this department. All those floppy disks versus one for
> FreeBSD.

You only need two.  The docs are a little lacking in this, but you can
install the base system over-the-wire if you initialize the network
card before starting the base install.  The install program adds the
appropriate options when it detects an active interface/route.

> And then when you throw in the Alpha architecture....

I did this for alpha because I don't have a CDROM on the alpha.  %^)

> It is the avanti, IIRC. I am currently using ARC. It was claimed to be
> easier. I may switch back to SRM because we recently got a copy of
> Digital Unix (we're configuring some huge multi-processor Alpha box
> for a customer) and I'd like to give it a try.

I've heard that, but I don't understand it.  One of my biggest beefs
with ARC/MILO is that MILO insists on limiting my memory to 24 MB
unless I set an environment variable in MILO.  There are more steps to
the MILO way and I find that SRM/aboot is faster and cleaner.
Besides, every time I see the MILO message "press ESC to boot
immediately or ENTER to stop the boot process" I experience irrational
anger.  ESC is suppose to stop the boot and ENTER should continue
immediately!

ARC works.  I've done it.  You have to make lots of settings, wait for
the firmware to decide to give you the next screen, enter more
settings, wait some more....  I'm pretty sure MS wrote it because it
'feels' like everything else they write.