Newbie alpha enthousiast needs some help

Hello all,

I just purchased a AXPpci33 166Mhz board and proceeded to install my favourite linux distribution, debian. I downloaded the base disks (981102) and followed the instructions provided. Within 15 minutes I had a base debian-alpha system !

There were however two minor problems:
- First the terminal seems to have some problems, for example using more and vi don't work. (TERM=linux) Any idea what causes this ?
- I wanted to ftp the alpha distribution form my LoseNT machine, ftp of single files (e.g. get base14-1.bin) went ok but for some reason mget * locks up the machine. Any clues ?

I figured that a firmware update could probably solve these problems as the board is pretty old. I downloaded v1.6 of the update from ftp.digital.com and followed the instructions. I updated both the SRM and ARC and as far as I can tell everything went ok.

Now the problem, when I boot the rescue disk I get the following:

--begin screen dump--

Opening file multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0)\linux ...

Getting firmware parameters ...

...Memory size is 0x2000000 bytes

Setting up argmuments for Milo @ 0x801FFC00

Setting up memory size for Milo @ 0x801FFE00

Setting up memory size for Milo @ 0x801FFF0

Swapping to PALcode at 0x0 ...

NT firmware Monitor.
Press H for help, Q to quit.
** Opcode Reserved To DEC occurred.
PC = 0x0000000000000001, VA = 0xffffffff808ffde8

--end screen dump--

Note the spelling error in the first Setting up argMyments, First I thought that the disk went bad, so I tried several new freshly formatted floppies but the result remained the same.

I tried to flash an older version of the ARC console, but when I try to flash version v1.5 (the only older version I could find on ftp.digital.com) I get a checksum error and the system halts.

Could someone please shed some light on this ? I bought this board to try alpha linux before I spend big bucks on my dream 533Mhz (or more) machine.

Perhaps I should try the SRM boot method, (I actually would prefer this because the letters NT give me the creeps) but I've been unable to figure out how to switch to this console.

advTHANKSance,

Marc Blom.