Re: hwclock not working on 2.1 kernels

On Friday, 20 Nov, Henk-Jan Slotboom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using 2.1 kernels breaks hwclock on my alpha XL300.
> The hwclock.sh script only works about 1 out of 20 times.
>
> The output I get most of the time:
>   # hwclock --hctosys --utc --debug
>   Using /dev/rtc interface to clock.
>   Waiting for clock tick...
> (nothing happens until I press ctrl-c)

Hmm...  Interesting problem.  Do you boot via MILO by any chance?

> I have RTC support compiled in the kernel, and a read-write /dev/rtc.
> hwclock works ok with the 2.0.35 kernel on the rescue disk.

RTC driver is much more intrusive in 2.1.x kernels.  I use patch in
ftp://genie.ucd.ie/pub/alpha/patches-2.1.x/rtclight.diff, which gives
me the configuration option to build the RTC driver as it is in 2.0.x.
I never use its advanced features (programmable interrupts), so I only
have it to keep hwclock happy without overburdening the kernel (the full
version moves the system clock to the PIT, which is a bit messy).

Try enabling the "lightweight version" of the RTC driver with that patch.

Nikita