Re: Hardware Q

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 02:22:50PM +0100, Nils-Erik Svangård wrote:
> I'm about to buy a alpha I'm looking at the 164UX2 motherboard with a 533
> MHz processor.
> My question is the onboard SCSI-controller (SymbiosLogic 53C875
> Ultra-WideSCSI) and the onboard Ethernet-card (Digital 21143) are they
> supported by Linux. I cant find any info on that.

Both of those peripherals are well supported under Linux on both i386
and Alpha platforms.

> What graphicscard should I buy?

The Millennium G200 is one of the fastest 2D video cards on the
market, and is supported by an interim patch for XFree86 IIRC.  It
will be fully supported under XFree86 3.3.3, which should be released
RSN (probably before the end of November).  It is kind of expensive,
though.  There are a lot of cheap cards out there that should work
just fine.

-andy
--
Andy Isaacson adisaacs@mtu.edu adi@acm.org    Fight Spam, join CAUCE: