RE: can't install on my alphastation 200 4/233 (Avanti) - di

earlier this morning I wrote:
> Do I re-run the NT cd:\alpha\arcinst program and delete everything?
>
> Is my harddrive (8.x Gb) too large for the Debian "fdisk" program?
> Is there a maximum limit for the physical drive size?

Well, I couldn't fall asleep, so I went ahead and used the NT partition program
to delete
all the existing partitions, then I restarted the Debian install and SUCCESS!
I have a
(floppy disk) bootable system.  So I'll find the directions for formatting the
10Mb partition
I left at the start of the disk and "dd" milo.dd there so I can boot from my
firmware menu.
I also need to play with inetd because I don't have a ftpd or telnetd running,
but otherwise
my machine is up on my home lan (unfortunately I'm behind a firewall.)

My next dumb question is:

Where do I download binaries for application development stuff, like gcc?

I do have a CD for RH 5.1 Intel at home.  I also have a 56kb pipe to the
outside world,
so once I get gcc working, maybe downloading X11 and building it is reasonable
weekend project.

Guenter, Anders: thanks for your replies.   I partitioned my drive as:

sda1    10mb  (partitioned but not initialized, for milo) (primary)
sda2   200mb /  (root) (primary, others are logical partitions)
sda5   100mb /var
sda6   200mb /tmp
sda7   200mb   linux swap
sda8  1000mb /usr
sda9  1000mb /home
              and there's about 6Gb empty

I don't know if Linux/Debian can expand a logical filesystem (I think I've
been very spoiled by AIX and the smit tool, which has a nice menu
interface for all sorts of system configuration changes.)  I installed RH 5.1
Intel
about 5 times before I left it alone, so I don't consider any "fixed" yet.

Best Wishes,

Alex
amiller@cats.usc.edu