X troubles (xf86EnableIOPorts: Failed to set IOPL for I/O)

Brederlow writes:
 > I installed the current x from sid and after strugling with XF86Setup
 > for some time I got the above fatal error.
 > I tried the XF86_Mach64 and XF86_SVGA, both with the same result.
 >
 > Could it be a problem with my kernel (2.0.34)?
 > Or is it a problem with the X?

IO space is memory-mapped on the Alpha, for portability reasons, some
IO functions quite specific to Intel hardware: iopl and ioperm, are
emulated in the C library. For that the C library need to known the precise
type of Alpha you are using, it can do so either by looking /etc/alpha_systype
which does not exist by default on Debian, or in a better manner by
looking into /proc/cpuinfo.

Maybe if you have an old Milo, or for some other reasons,your
/proc/cpuinfo is not correct. What system type does it report?
Just checked, the libc does not understand ruffian, so if it is the
case, you need to do ln -s EB164 /etc/alpha_systype (the file EB164
does not need to exist), to workaround it, and we should add this to
libc.

The lists of known system type for the C library is:
Alcor
Avanti
XL
Cabriolet