about releasing Debian/Alpha and freezing the distribution

Hello,

I do not remember having seen much answers to Brian about releasing
Debian/Alpha (and so freezing now). Here is my view:

As we were close to release the Alpha for hamm, there was the
assumption we should be able to release for slink without too much
trouble (it is more than one year since a fully usable Debian has been
really usable, except for minor glitches, and no straightforward
install).

In the last two months, there have been several problems, where at
some points the quality of the distrib regressed, partly because of
an unstable version of the compiler, leading to uncertainty about
slink/Alpha release.

Thanks to Christopher, the compiler problem is finally resolved (just
in time), so I now very strongly recommend that we release
Debian/Alpha for slink.

A partial list of the important remaining things are:
- filling some documentation holes
- recompiling and testing the latest x11
- the new upstream version of NIS is unreliable on Alpha, we can
 either find  the problem, or revert to the previous version which is
 rock-solid.
- a few things to add to the installation process

Brian, do you think it is still possible to freeze the Alpha port if
nobody objects soon? Would it be possible to allow uploads to frozen to
still be automatic during one or two weeks to catch-up on the new
packages of these last weeks, before going to a deeper freeze (maybe
that would mean the Alpha would only be officially released one or two
weeks after the other archs).

Regards,

Loic