Re: hwclock still not working

"Andreas U. Trottmann" <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com> writes:

> Is there /dev/rtc on your system (char, major 10, minor 135)?
> Is it accessible (rw) for the user executing hwclock?

Yes, and yes.  (root is running it.)

> Have you got rtc support compiled into kernel (cat /proc/rtc)?

No.  Hmm.  I guess that the need for /dev/rtc should have been a hint
that I need this, but I don't understand why.  I've never used it on
the PC, and the configure description says nothing about it
interacting with the CMOS clock.... hmm....  I'll enable it and then
see what happens.

> What does 'hwclock --systohc --utc --debug' tell you?

erwin:/usr/src/linux# hwclock --systohc --utc --debug
Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno = Operation not supported by device (19).  falling back to more primitive clock access method.
Using direct I/O instructions to ISA clock.
hwclock is unable to get I/O port access.  I.e. iopl(3) returned nonzero return code -1.
This is often because the program isn't running with superuser privilege, which it needs.

In short, not much.

Thanks for the hint; I'll let you know if it helps.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org