Re: Faure upgrade

At 17:46 -0800 1998-10-30, Martin Schulze wrote:
>Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>> Then for some -insane- reason when libc6 was upgraded init decided to
>> start running fsck on the MOUNTED! disks, needless to say we narrowly
>> escaped massive file system corruption by rebooting.. Aynone know whats up
>> here?
>
>Please refer to debian-devel and linux-kernel where Miquel S. continousely
>explains that 'init u' re-exec's the current init.

Yes, but on at least alpha and powerpc 'init u' acts as 'init s' for some
reason. This does such things as run fsck on live filesystems and other
nastiness. 'init u' is supposed to save init's state and re-exec it, it
should not have the effect of changing runlevels.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>        <URL:http://web.espy.org/>