Re: new installation disks

On Sat, Oct 31, 1998 at 08:33:53PM +0100, Loic Prylli wrote:

> So now there should be  a working installation set on
> http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr
> (the intermediate one from 18 october was unusable)

I'm just halfway through installing (I stopped because obviously
ftp.debian.org is lacking the ncurses3.4-free packages). I got it to
work until now, but there were a couple of minor problems:

* the root disk lacks /dev/ram0, so dinstall exits with "can't find root
  device" (or something like this) unless you mknod /dev/ram0 in the
  second vc
* the installation program looks for a file called base2_0.tgz, but the
  supplied file is called base2_1.tgz. Renaming it made it work.
* the base filesystem in base2_1.tgz lacks at least /dev/hdc* and
  /dev/hdd*. Because my /var is on the third IDE disk, the first real boot
  process didn't succeed. mknoding the required device files before
  rebooting made it work.

and finally (but perhaps not that important)

* the "year 2018 problem" is still present :)

  the rtc driver in the kernel detects the right epoch, and /proc/rtc is
  right, but during install, the kernel clock thinks it's 2018, and the
  /sbin/hwclock contained in base2_1.tgz is one of the "old" ones that
  access the hardware directly (and fail on certain architectures) rather
  than one of the "new" ones that uses /proc/rtc.

  When I'll get a functional Debian system again, I'll try to resolve this
  problem.

But except for these small problems, the boot disks and the install images
seem to be fine. Thanks for your great work!

--
Andreas Trottmann <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com>