Re: where is hamm-alpha ??

On Wed 30 Sep 1998, Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:

> `sid' is the new name given to what the debian alpha crowd hoped would be
> the `hamm' release for alpha.  `slink' is the current test version that
> hopefully makes for the next release (together with the i386 slink
> release).

Not quite right.

'sid' is a distribution of which it is not certain that it will be
released the next time, 'slink' _will_ be the next released version.
This is done to make it easier for mirrors; all that happens at release
time is that some symlinks are changed (i.e. "unstable" becomes
"stable"), and the mirrors don't have to download the entire directory
tree again.

So, if the decision is made _not_ to release debian/alpha, the 'sid'
link is left alone, and the mirrors don't have any problem. During the
hamm release, the entire alpha tree had to be deleted on the mirrors,
and the new 'sid' directory filled.

If the decision _is_ made to release debian/alpha, this also doesn't
lead to much traffic, as mow also only a couple of symlinks need to be
changed.

> For this reason we are all now working on `slink' to (hopefully) be able to

No, dists/slink/binary-alpha is a symlink to dists/sid/binary-alpha.

> catch up with the i386 and m68k architectures.  `sid' is orphaned in the
> sense that it is not under active development as I understand it (which you
> may, of course, see as a good thing).

There is only the one debian/alpha distribution available, i.e. the old
'hamm' version is gone.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org