Re: (a)boot and RTC problems

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 06:41:00PM +0200, Roberto Lumbreras wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I've two alpha machines, both are AlphaServers 1000A 5/333
> (noritake/primo). One runs 2.0.33 with
> alpha-patches+raid+rtc+serialconsole+idontremember ;), and
> aboot-0.5 without any patches (errrr... compiled some time ago, now
> it doesn't compile :) and the box boots more or less with SRM+aboot
> from sda (bsd disklabel with fdisk). When I reboot it, SRM says
> "halted CPU 0, blah blah, booting CPU0, error, can't boot" or
> something similar. Then I have to type "boot" from my serial
> console :-) and it reboots itself without more problems.
>
> With the other one I'm trying to use kernel 2.1.122 without
> patches, and the aboot package from beezer (the one I've compiled
> doesn't work at all with 2.1.xxx as somebody said time ago). I've
> two problems with this box: the first is that hwclock doesn't work,
> it hangs reading from /proc/rtc after a ioctl (yes, the kernel has
> rtc support). Maybe it's a kernel bug, but cat /proc/rtc works.
> The other problem is that the box hangs at reboot time, SRM says
> "halted CPU 0, blah blah, rebooting, blah blah" and that's all, it
> hangs forever, and I've to press the reset button.
>
> BTW, both machines have serial console with SRM, the first doesn't
> have VGA/keyboard/mouse at all, and the second one has a #9 FX
> Motion 331, unused, that will be used in other computer sooner or
> later...
>
> Ideas? :)

Well, no.

The aboot package came from me.  I'm the "official" maintainer, although
the package you have is rough and unofficial.  It will probably be 2
weeks before I can make an official upload to master.

I'm using a lowly AS200 4/233.  I can't get aboot to work with the
disklabel at all yet.  I will try to muck with it some more this weekend.
I've been using aboot to make bootp kernels, which does work for me.
I have not tried using floppy yet either.

I'm assuming you have the latest SRM.

The hwclock problem makes a bit of sense.  hwclock uses IO ports to
bit-bang the RTC directly.  /proc/rtc is much more gentle.  That problem
may be a generic 1.2.x kernel issue.  You could ask on RedHat's axp-list.

For that matter, you might want to ask about the SRM lockup problem on
there too.  If you'd rather, I'll do it.  The aboot patches I'm using are
(I think) the same as the ones RedHat uses.

I wish I could be helpful but Aboot has been giving me a lot of grief
lately.  Incidentally, has anyone been able to use it with a 4KB ext2
blocksize?

Please let me know if you find some better answers...

Thanks,

Jeff