Re: egcs-1.1 segfaults!

I cannot do anything before tonight, because the alpha is at home :(

On 21-Sep-98 Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Michele Comitini wrote:
>
>> I cannot get "make menuconfig" to work anymore since the utility lxdialog
>> under the kernel tree does a segfault.
>
> Which kernel version are you trying?  Also, unless you're still using the
> 2.0.x kernels, I wouldn't recommend using make menuconfig anyway.  I'll
> look into the segfault anyway, though.

I am using a 2.0.36pre10 patched with alpha-patches-2.0.34.  Well if I
have the time I will look into the error with gdb.

>> I cannot compile the slhc.c module since egcs segfaults.
I wonder if this is a problem with the computer hw.

> That's odd.  There are quite a few more optimizer problems showing up in
> 1.1a, though, so try compiling without -O2 and see if it works just for
> s&g's.  I should be sending off an email to the egcs list soon so I can
> include that too...
I will try that.

>> Unaligned traps are still there while partition checking at boot.

I mean when the kernel first searches for partitions on the hds.
I see fsck working just fine.

> Hmmm....are they kernel addresses or is this an e2fsck problem?  Partition
> structures are unaligned for the most part, fyi.  I'm working on a fix for
> this but haven't had time to try it yet.
>
>> Maybe I should go back to egcs-1.0.3?
>
> I wouldn't personally.  Despite the problems here and there, 1.1a is a
> better product IMO.  I have noticed things that didn't compile before are
> starting to now.  Also, it seems that the Haifa problems have mostly
> disappeared in 1.1a (thank goodness).

Well I will try to compile mysql again with optimization and see if it
runs out of memory when compliling inline c++. egcs-1.0.3 was not able
to compile mysql with more than 1Gb of VM!

Ciao!

    E-Mail: Michele Comitini <mcm@glisco.it>
    Michele Comitini
    Glisco s.a.s.