Re: SX164 installation

> BTW, you did remember to tell the kernel to assign 5MB for the ramdisk
> instead of the default 4MB? "ramsize=5120k" or so, it's in the README
> for the lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr boot floppies...

The README tells to use ramdisk_size=5120 and I tried it this way. It does
not work. In fact, after hitting <enter> to read in the ramdisk the drive
just starts spinning but nothing at all is read. There is not even a message
like: "Found image...", there is nothing. No sound, just spinning.

> If that's not the problem, it would be interesting to know what RH does
> differently, so that their kernel works. Is their .config file
> available?

I don't know how RH configures the kernel, one big difference is that
they use gcc. But I've got a solution for the NE2000-problem: autoprobing
of the IRQ doesn't work, but compiling NE2000-support as a module and
inserting it with the proper parameters (io=, irq=) by /etc/modules works
perfectly.

I compiled a 2.0.35 kernel and all of a sudden, I'm back in 1998 instead of
2018. I'm not sure what did this miracle, but either it is the newer kernel
or /dev/rtc is not included in the normal kernel. Or something completely
different :-)

   Thimo

--
Thimo Neubauer <thimo@debian.org>