Re: SX164 installation

Interesting... I too switched from RH 4.2 to Debian this week.  I also have
an SX164.  I never tried the kernel on the rescue disk; I just overwrote
it with the Redhat install kernel.  I downloaded base2_0.tgz to my redhat
partition, mounted and installed it from Debian.  So far so good...

My only real problem is that the redhat kernel has paniced twice during
the install.  I've been able to fsck and continue, but this never
happened while running redhat.  I'm assuming there are bugs in the 2.0.30
kernel which may be triggered by glibc or something else in Debian.

I'm going to build a devel kernel next and attempt to get hwclock
working.  I've heard there are problems with dpkg on newer kernels, so I
guess if I need to run dselect I can boot the old kernel and hope it
doesn't panic again :(

Anyway... kudos to the debian developers.  The experience has already
been much nicer than with Redhat, and it'll certainly get easier when the
Alpha port is finally released.

Jeff