Re: XFree86 on alpha & cirrus logic video?

> > >I have a fixed frequency cirrus logic based video card in my Noname at
> > >the moment.  Has anybody had any luck using this on Linux-alpha?
> > >XFree86 doesn't seem to compile it in when I've tried.
> >
> > Hmm, as far as I can tell it got compiled into the SVGA xserver, so
> > unless it is a strange video card the standard xserver-svga should
> > work with it.
> >
> > What kind of video card is it? Which cirrus logic chipset
> > is it using? Can you see the card with SuperProbe?
>
> Cirrus Logic GD5480 (in the 5434 series according to the XFree docs).
> I just installed a fresh Debian Alpha 2.0 system and the SVGA X server
> prints out that it only has drivers for various MGA (Matrox) cards, a
> TGA card and the S3 Virge card. <sigh>  I guess its time for me to dig
> in and try and get the Cirrus Logic driver to compile (it doesn't by
> default on the alpha) and see if I can make it work.

It is a well known fact that porting efforts have *not* gone into
making Cirrus Logic video cards work on Alpha.

The question is whether there is value to the effort; why slow down
your system by using a card where many of the data manipulations will
*have* to involve 16 and possibly even 8 bit values?

This is not why you got a 64 bit CPU.

Bite the bullet.  Spend maybe a whole $50 on an S3 variant of some
sort.

--
Christopher B. Browne, cbbrowne@hex.net, chris_browne@sdt.com
Web: http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne  SAP Basis Consultant, UNIX Guy