Re: problem installing RH5

Hello,
	I may be missing something here, but doesn't this excerpt from
the Red Hat Users Guide say that you can boot RH LInux from the CD-ROM?

>From the Users Guide:

D.3 Installation Overview

Installing Red Hat Linux on an Alpha system is slightly more complex
than installing Red Hat Linux/Intel, mostly due to differences in
machine architecture, and the variety of different models supported.
In general, the main steps to a successful install are:

   1.Create MILO, kernel, and ramdisk diskettes from images
     available on the Red Hat Linux/Alpha CD.

   2.Use the MILO diskette to boot the appropriate Linux kernel.

   3.Load and run the Red Hat Linux/Alpha installation program.

   4.After the installation completes, install MILO on a small
     disk partition on your machine.

Please Note:While the majority of Alpha systems are supported by
MILO, those that are not will need to boot the boot floppy
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(or CD-ROM) directly from the SRM (System Reference Manual) console.
Information on doing this is available from the Red Hat Software
web site at http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/alpha/faq. You should
also consult your system documentation for the proper boot command
syntax, but in general, the proper command would look like this:

boot dva0 -file vmlinux.gz -flags "load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1"

Thanks,

Ken
khansen@njcc.com