Re: Too much RAM

	Hi!

Thanks for a speedy answer.

> On Mon 02 Feb 1998, Ferenc Kiraly wrote:
>
> > So, here is my sad story. I've got a AlphaPC 164LX, wit the
> > DEC 21164 chip running at 533MHz. Initially there was 128 Megs
>
> You're not overclocking it, I hope? I saw you wrote earlier:
>
> : I have an offer for a 21164EV56 @ 500MHz with a RPX164-2
> : motherbord. Will this work with Linux? The motherboard contains
>
> This would explain your problems, if you are indeed overclocking...
No, I'm not overclocking it. We've bought a different machine.

> > Then they installed the rest of the RAM. Now the system is
> > broken. I tried reinstalling about 5 times, each time with
> > a new twist, but to no avail. The instalation goes as good as
>
> Try limiting the amount of memory Linux "sees" by adding "mem=64M" to
> the bootstring (you know, behind the "root=/dev/sda1" part). Try
> different amounts, and see if that makes any difference.  Of course, if
> the 164 interleaves its memory banks this may not help.

I even tried mem=8M and I get the same thing. However I also noticed
substantial filesystem corruption. I must reinstall for every new
experiment. I'm using an ADAPTEC 2940 controller (Yes I know... but
here it's hard to get what you want so one must take what he can
get). But if this were the problem, I would have experienced it
already the first time, when I installed with only 128M RAM.

	feri.