Re: linux/alpha and libc

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Nikita Schmidt wrote:

: From: Nikita Schmidt <cetus@snowball.ucd.ie>
: To: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
: Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 02:35:10 +0000
: Subject: Re: linux/alpha and libc
:
: On Wednesday, 26 Nov, Roberto A. Lumbreras Pastor wrote:
: > Jay Estabrook from DEC said me I have to do a
: > 'ln -s Alcor /etc/alpha_systype'
: > in my noritake, he says it is used by libc...
:
: That's true.  New Alpha models are introduced too fast for glibc to
: follow.  Actually, it would be quite possible to include the missing table
: entries in Debian-built libc, if we knew what they should be (that is,
: if we had the full list of system name -> system type mappings).  The
: alternative approach is to create that hackish "link" during the base
: install, which I think is less attractive.
:
: What does your /proc/cpuinfo say about your system type, by the way?

The box is an AlphaServer 1000A 5/333 Mhz. (noritake-primo)

/proc/cpuinfo:
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV56
cpu variation           : 7
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       :
system type             : Noritake
system variation        : 0
system revision         : 0
system serial number    : AY73934394
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 333333333
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 40
max. addr. space #      : 127
BogoMIPS                : 330.30
kernel unaligned acc    : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc      : 666 (pc=120001d60,va=11ffff360)

: 	Nikita
:

Regards,
--
Roberto Lumbreras Pastor  *  mailto:rover@lander.es
Lander Internet - Spain   *  http://www.lander.es/

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer
in their home."

    -- Ken Olson, President of DEC, World Future Society
                                       Convention, 1977 --