RE: Booting on an AlphaServer 1000

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Salvador Pinto Abreu wrote:

> I used pre-2.0.31 and 2.0.30; I couldn't find an alcor version of 2.0.29...

I haven't tried pre-2.0.31, but am using 2.0.30 right now with great
success.  Then again, I'm on a pretty non-descript UDB....

> btw, where can I find a correspondence between DEC system names and
> nicknames (ie, is Alcor the appropriate version for an AS 1000 5/300?)

Well, after "thumbing" through some documentation I know of on the web,
I've found out that the Alcor stuff is intended for the AS600 and AS500.
The AS1000 is supported by the Mikasa kernels and MILOs.  Apparently,
Alcor is the nickname of a support chipset that's on the AS600s and some
of the AS500s.  As for the Mikasa name, it applies to the AlphaServer
1000's, but NOT the AlphaServer ef 1000a's for some reason.  From what
this information says too (unknown on how recent it is), it says that the
builtin Cirrus chipset graphics card is poorly supported by X.  I can't
confirm nor deny this, obviously...

Here's the URL for a pretty good reference on Alpha hardware:
	http://www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/FAQ.html

Let me know if the Mikasa stuff gives you better stability.  I'm anxious
to know myself :)

Chris