Re: Good news re: man-db

On Wed 22 Oct 1997, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> This brings up a few things for us.  First off, I still haven't had too
> much time to play with PAM or to figure out why the libs just fail
> miserably on the Alpha.  I also haven't been able to keep up with the
> current status of PAM upstream-wise.  Since we have new readership on this
> list since I last posted about PAM, I was wondering if anyone might want
> to either test or take on getting PAM to work.  I have some patches that I
> made that I could forward to anyone who's interested....

I'm one of those considered "new readership", I guess...
Having recently installed Debian on x86, and also owning an UDB Multia,
I subscribed to this list to get a feeling for the Debian Alpha port, to
discover what its state is, install tips, etc. In short, lurking a bit.
I currently run Red Hat 4.0 on my UDB.

A suggestion: as Red Hat apparently has PAM working on Alpha, couldn't
you peek at Red Hat's sources to see what they've done to get it
working? Or am I (still) missing the big picture here?

> In short, I'd just like to get this resolved for us to be more consistent
> with the x86 dist.  They seem to want PAM pretty badly, but are just now
> getting around to implementing it which gives us time to work on it more.

Personally, I dislike the PAM stuff (probably don't know enough about it).
For example, I'm not allowed to use my usual password on my machine, as
it's considered too short. I have not discovered how to override this.
So I'm not really waiting for PAM :-) Anyway, that's my two cents.

Paul Slootman
--
perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10)'
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl |