Re: Good news re: man-db

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Guenter Geiger wrote:

> Sorry, I've already done this and didn't send you the patches. ( Btw A lot
> of fun with 500 MHz .. ). I think this whole thing is due to a lack of
> communication from my side ..

Oh, don't sweat it.  I actually need the xlib6g package for something on
my end and didn't want to wait.  Then again, looks like I accidentally
scrounged my day-long-compiled packages anyway, so I probably should
wait.....

> I' m working at the IEM (Institute for Electronic Music) in Graz,
> Austria. My goal is to make the Debian distribution the distribution
> of choice for Computer Music applications. Thats why I switched to
> Debian on our Alpha machine. ( I have to compile most of the
> applications myself, anyway ). I'm not very involved into the Alpha
> porting thing, because it uses most of my time to get these
> applications running.

No problem.  By any chance is your machine on the Internet permanently?
Apparently, fakeroot works (albeit with some unaligned trap problems) and
those of us with slow UDB's are trying to find someone with a faster
machine to allow us to compile some of the larger packages (like X, in
this case)....if you can't, then don't worry about it.

> And in fact, for me Debian/Alpha is already running quite well.

Glad to hear it :)  In fact, I monitor the AXP list on the RedHat side and
have noticed that none of us seems to have the problems that some of the
RedHat users do.  I expected to run into more problems than I have
(haven't had an unaligned access in a week, for instance) because of the
amount of problems that they seem to have, but I'm happy to report that my
UDB is more stable than my Pentium with Debian on it :)  Pats on the back
for everyone else who got us to this point :)

> I pointed this out to the maintainer of xfree, he said he will include
> my patches in his next release (3.3-8).

Great :)  I guess I'll leave Xfree to you, then.  I definitely wasn't
looking forward to recompiling it for another day :)

> Again, sorry for my sloppy handling of these things, I will try to improve.

Like I said, don't worry about it.  I've been guilty of not speaking up at
times too :)  Nice to hear from you and welcome to the project :)

Chris