Re: Compiling sources for alpha

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, nm wrote:

> heh, yeah that's probably a good idea, i appreciate the invitation...
> its funny while i was building this alpha i was suprised at how
> well it went, so much so that im not sure that i could justify buying
> another x86 board or cpu again :)

I know the feeling.  I'm buying a new computer (Pentium II), but am going
to restrict my Linux usage to my Alpha since I like it ALOT better and
HATE dual-booting.  I'll get a new computer for tax purposes and for my
games and other work, but my programming stuff is only done on the Alpha
now.  In fact, between myself, Bdale, and Nikita, I think we are
practically running the Alpha port of Debian, so we're the right people to
ask :)

> hrm... i think what i really need to do is start out with some source
> trees that are known to compile, that way i can narrow it down to see
> if its a problem with my setup or what...

Well, most of the new versions of stuff available from Debian.org cleanly
compile.  They have already done the glibc patching and such, so it's
kinda nice.  Most of that was done by us on the Alpha side originally,
though since we've been glibc all along and have moved on from the 1.99
snapshots AGES ago (RedHat still uses the old snapshots, fyi, which may be
the source of your problems).  What distribution and revision are you
running right now?  It'll help me get an idea of where you may be having
problems.

> sounds good, thanks

Anytime.  In fact, I'll cross-post this to the list to at least get your
name known and such :)

Chris