Re: Alpha and modules ? (fwd)

On Sep 5, Nikhil Nair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is this an opportunity to advocate Debian?  Presumably, we're using a
> new enough binutils to let modules work?  Or are we? ...

I have had modules working perfectly under Linux/Alpha since about
January, the only thing to do was to upgrade some RedHat stuff that
they don't dare to touch...  Well, almost perfectly: some symbols
are not defined in ksyms.c and nfs does not start correctly when built
as a module.

The only problem with Debian/Alpha in its current state is insmod,
probably it was built with wrong binutils (current binutils are quite
OK, however).  When I replaced it with the one I used under
hand-upgraded RedHat system, the modules _immediately_ started working,
with autoload and all the fun.

However, the 2.0.x kernels need a patch to get rid of annoying
<sc347 (0,0,0)> messages.  This patch is now part of Jay's
alpha-patches.

	Nikita