Re: ld error (?): multiple definition of `_DYNAMIC'

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu> writes:

> Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:
> > I just tried to compile XFree86_3.3-2 on alpha:
>
> What libc are you using?  What binutils?  I've compiled xfree on my
> system just this past week with no problems remotely resembling that.

My installation might be different because I didn't bootstrap using
RedHat. I used the cistron base system and upgraded.

I appended dpkg -l output below.

I just see that I use libc6-dev. Probably I should use 6.1 instead ?

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  adduser         3.2            Add users and groups to the system.
ii  ae              962-12         Anthony's Editor -- a tiny full-screen edito
ii  afio            2.4.2-2        Archive file manipulation program.
ii  alias           2.3-1          Access perl variables through aliases
iU  at              3.1.3-1        Delayed job execution and batch processing
ii  auctex          9.7n-2         An integrated environment for writing TeX/La
ii  autoconf        2.12-1         automatic configure script builder.
ii  automake        1.0-4          A tool for generating GNU Standards-complian
ii  base-files      1.3.5          Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  base-passwd     1.3.1
ii  bash            2.0-3          The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  bash-builtins   2.0-3          Bash loadable builtins - headers & examples
ii  bind            4.9.5-1.4      An Internet domain name server.
ii  binutils        2.8-1          The GNU assembler, linker and binary utiliti
ii  bison           1.25-4         A parser generator that is compatible with Y
ii  bsdutils        3.1.3          Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  cfgtool         1.5-1          Manipulate system configuration variables
ii  cpio            2.4.2-8        GNU cpio -- a program to manage archives of
ii  cron            3.0pl1-38      management of regular background processing
ii  cvs             1.9-1          Concurrent Versions System -- an RCS extensi
ii  cvs-pcl         1.9-4          Concurrent Versions System Emacs extension (
ii  debian-policy   2.1.3.3        Debian Policy Manual and related documents
iHR debiandoc-sgml  1.0.8          Documentation formatting for Debian manuals
ii  debianutils     1.4            Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.
ii  debmake         3.2.7          Development environment for Debian Sourcepac
ii  dialog          0.9a-8         Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from she
ii  diff            2.7-13         File comparison utilities
ii  doc-debian      1.5-0          Debian Manual, FAQ and other documents
ii  doc-rfc         1997.05-1      Important RFCs
ii  dpkg            1.4.0.11       Package maintenance system for Debian Linux
ii  dpkg-dev        1.4.0.17       Package building tools for Debian Linux
iU  dpkg-ftp        1.4.8          Ftp method for dselect.
ii  e2fsprogs       1.06-4         The EXT2 file system utilities.
ii  ed              0.2-12         The classic unix line editor
ii  elib            1.0-2          Library of commonly-used Emacs functions
ii  elisp-manual    19-2.4-2       Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
ii  emacs           19.34-11       The GNU Emacs editor.
ii  emacs-el        19.34-11       GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
ii  emacs-lisp-intr 1.04-1         Programming in Emacs Lisp: An Introduction
ii  fdflush         1.0.0-7        A disk-flushing program.
ii  file            3.20.1-3       Determines file type using "magic" numbers
ii  fileutils       3.16-2         GNU file management utilities.
ii  findutils       4.1-21         utilities for finding files--find, xargs, an
ii  flex            2.5.4-2        A fast lexical analyzer generator.
iU  fortunes        9510-4         Datafiles containing fortune cookies
ii  gawk            3.0.2-1        GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing l
ii  gcc             2.7.2-8        The GNU C compiler (ELF version).
ii  gdb             4.16-7         The GNU Debugger
ii  getty           1.45a-3        agetty, an alternative Linux getty
ii  glibcdoc        1.92-1         GNU C library Info documentation (edition 0.
ii  grep            2.0-11         GNU grep, egrep and fgrep.
iU  groff           1.10-2         GNU troff text-formatting system.
ii  gsfonts         4.01-5         Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  gzip            1.2.4-15       The GNU compression utility.
ii  hostname        2.01           A utility to set/show the host name or domai
iU  hyperlatex      2.2.4-1        Creating HTML using LaTeX documents.
iU  ibritish        3.1.20-0.1     A British English dictionary for ispell.
iU  igerman         2-5            The german dictionary for ispell.
ii  info            3.9-4          Standalone GNU Info documentation browser
iU  jedsl           0.98.2-2       Sources of Slang runtime files for jed
ii  kbd             0.92-3         Linux console font and keytable utilities.
ii  latex2html      96.1.h-6       LaTeX to HTML translator.
ii  ldconfig        1.8.1-1        determine run-time link bindings.
ii  ldso            1.7.14-2       Dummy deb package
ii  less            321-2          A file pager program, similar to more(1)
ii  libbfd2.8       2.8-1          The GNU Binary File Descriptor library (run-
ii  libbfd2.8-dev   2.8-1          The GNU Binary File Descriptor library (deve
ii  libbfd27        2.7-1          BFD shared libraries (runtime).
ii  libc5           5.2.18-11      Dummy deb package
ii  libc6           6.0.0-1        The GNU C library version 6 (run-time librar
ii  libc6-dev       6.0.0-1        The GNU C library version 6 (development fil
ii  libc6.1         2.0.3-3        The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libdb1          1.85.2-8       Dummy deb package
ii  libgdbm1        1.7.3-11       GNU dbm database routines (runtime version).
ii  libpaper        1.0.3-3        Library for handling paper characteristics
ii  libreadline2    2.1-2          GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
ii  locales         2.0.3-3        Locale data files and utilities.
ii  login           961025-1       Sign on to the system.
ii  lynx            2.7-1          Text-mode WWW Browser
ii  m4              1.4-6          a macro processing language
ii  make            3.75-4         The GNU version of the "make" utility.
ii  makedev         1.5-4          Creates special device files in /dev.
iU  man-db          2.3.10-35      Display the on-line manual.
ii  manpages        1.15-5         Man pages about using a Debian system.
ii  manpages-de     0.1-6          German section 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 manpages
ii  mawk            1.3.3-1        a pattern scanning and text processing langu
ii  mime-support    2.12-1         MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap', and sup
ii  mirror          2.8-9          Perl program for keeping ftp archives up-to-
ii  miscfiles       1.1-2          Dictionaries and other interesting files.
ii  modconf         0.2.11         Device Driver Configuration
ii  mount           2.6d-2         Tools for mounting and manipulating filesyst
iU  mutt            0.71-1         Text-based mailreader supporting MIME, PGP a
ii  ncurses-base    1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Minimum set of
ii  ncurses-bin     1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: associated prog
ii  ncurses3.0      1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: shared librarie
ii  ncurses3.0-dev  1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Developer's lib
ii  ncurses3.0-pic  1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Shared-library
ii  netbase         2.12-1         Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
ii  netstd          2.13-1         Networking binaries and daemons for Linux
ii  nvi             1.76-1         4.4BSD re-implementation of vi.
ii  passwd          961025-1       Change and administer password and group dat
ii  patch           2.1-11         Apply a diff file to an original
ii  perl            5.004-1        Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
ii  perl-debug      5.004-1        Allow debugging perl scripts (and perl).
ii  perl-suid       5.004-1        Runs setuid perl scripts.
ii  pgp-i           2.6.3a-1       Public key encryption system (International
iU  procps          1.11.5         The /proc file system utilities.
ii  rcs             5.7-4          The GNU Revision Control System
ii  rsaref          19930105-1     RSADSI's RSAREF encryption library
ii  sed             2.05-12        The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  setserial       2.12-2         Controls configuration of serial ports.
ii  sgml-data       0.02           Data files for SGML programs
iU  sgml-tools      0.99.7-1       SGML tools
ii  sgmlspm         1.03ii-3       Perl modules for processing SGML parser outp
ii  shellutils      1.16-1         The GNU shell programming utilities.
ii  slang0.99.34    0.99.38-1      A C programming library for user interfaces
iU  slang0.99.34-de 0.99.38-1      A C programming library for user interfaces
iU  sp              1.1.1-3        James Clark's suite of tools to parse SGML f
iU  spellprogs      1.11-1         Three shell spell scripts.
ii  strace          3.1-8          A system call tracer.
ii  sudo            1.5.2-4        Provides limited super user privileges to sp
ii  sysklogd        1.3-15         Kernel and system logging daemons
ii  syslinux        1.30-2         Boot disk creator.
ii  sysutils        1.2-1          Miscellaneous small system utilities.
ii  sysvinit        2.70-1         System-V like init.
ii  tar             1.11.8-11      GNU tar
ii  tcl76           7.6p2-4        The Tool Command Language (TCL) v7.6 - Run-T
ii  tcl76-dev       7.6p2-4        The Tool Command Language (TCL) v7.6 - Devel
ii  tetex-base      0.4pl8-2       teTeX library files
iU  tetex-bin       0.4pl6-7       teTeX binary files
ii  tetex-dev       0.4pl6-7       kpathsea.a and include files for teTeX
ii  tetex-doc       0.4pl8-1       teTeX documentation
iU  tetex-extra     0.4pl8-1       teTeX library files
ii  texidoc         3.9-2          Texinfo manual - how to write a Texinfo file
ii  textutils       1.22-1         The GNU text file processsing utilities.
ii  timezones       2.0.3-3        Time zone data files and utilities.
ii  tk42            4.2p2-4        The Tk toolkit for TCL and X11 v4.2 - Run-Ti
ii  tk42-dev        4.2p2-4        The Tk toolkit for TCL and X11 v4.2 - Develo
ii  update          1.2-1          daemon to periodically flush filesystem buff
ii  util-linux      2.5-10         Miscellaneous system utilities.
ii  w3-el           2.2.26-1       This is a hypertext (World Wide Web) browser
ii  wenglish        1.0-6          English dictionary words for /usr/dict
ii  wgerman         2-6            The german dictionary for /usr/dict.
ii  xbase           3.2-5          Local clients and configuration required by
ii  xext            3.2-5          Extensions to X servers
ii  xfnt100         3.3-1          100dpi fonts for X servers
ii  xfnt75          3.3-1          75dpi fonts for X servers
ii  xfntbase        3.3-1          Standard fonts for X servers
ii  xfntbig         3.3-1          Large fonts for X servers
ii  xfntcyr         3.3-1          Cyrillic fonts for X servers
ii  xfntil2         1.0.2          ISO 8859-2 fonts for X servers
ii  xfntpex         3.3-1          Minimal fonts for PEX support in X servers
ii  xfntscl         3.3-1          Scalable fonts for X servers
iU  xforms-dev      0.86-3         GUI Toolkit for X Window Systems
iU  xforms0         0.86-3         GUI Toolkit for X Window Systems
ii  xlib6           3.2-5          Shared libraries required by X clients
ii  xlib6-dev       3.2-5          Include files and libraries for X client dev
ii  xnest           3.2-5          Nested X server
ii  xntp3           5.89-1         Network Time Protocol clients and server
iU  xpm-bin         3.4j-0         X Pixmap libraries - associated binaries
ii  xserver-s3      3.2-5          X server for S3-based graphics cards
ii  zlib1           1.0.4-7        compression library - runtime
ii  zlib1-dev       1.0.4-7        compression library - development