Re: Floppy install

Pasi Pirhonen wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Kari Davidsson wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> > I'll follow up to my own email:
> >
> > So the conclusion of all this: The floppy install "works" but stay away
> > from dselect. Install packages manually after the base install and
> > by picki on wich packages you install.
> >

> As i have been telling in this list before, the binary-alpha tree
> needs some minor mods to be 'dselectable'. I have pesonally installed
> (telnet at least is not working) functional debian/axp with slightly
> modified binary-alpha (remove libc6, upgrade some packages, blaa, blaa...)

I know that you know, since you have been telling that here before 8-)
This was just a quick summary for those who are running red hat want to
try
debian, are not maintainers (like me) and are not involved in the
development
process, i.e. what might happen when attempting a "fresh" debian
install,
Like I did. It could also serve as some feedback to your work, which I
think
is great. (The feedback to you is basically that I did not run into any
problems that you had not found.) Perhaps this "report" was redundant.
In that
case I am sorry it will not happen again.
One thing I forgot to mention (again for those adventurus types who
wan't to
try something new from redhat) is that I did not mess with my current
milo
setup, i.e. I am using the same milo as in my red hat setup and loading
it
(milo) with the aid of ARC console.

> > P.S. The only way of getting access to the latest and greatest packes
> > on debina.org is through Incoming? But one must be a developer to
> > get access to Incoming? And one must have some packes to maintain
>
> Look
>
> ftp://gorba.lpt.fi/debian/binary-alpha/         (mine)
> or
> ftp://debian.med.miami.edu/pub/mdorman/         (Michael Dorman)

Yes, this was my point (maybe not clear) some packages in debian.org are
newer than the packages on those two ftp-sites, some are older and who
knows what is in Incoming? Not I.

> for some upgraded packages. I think most of needed packages are in one
> of above sites. There might be more sites, but i'm not aware of those.
>
> If something crucial is missing from those sites, let me/us know, and
> we'll see if we can do something about it ....

I don't think any thing is missing, I mean I was able to get the system
up
and running with networking and development stuff (gcc, devel libs.
etc....)
With some packages from your and M.Dormans site and some from
debina.org.
But I think that you and M. Dorman are not the only developers for
debian-alpha
and that is why I was wondering about the Incoming on debian.org. Others
_might_
have uploaded something crusial to debian.org. Maybe I will just file
for
debian developer job and see how it goes. 8-)

> I haven't even looked the base disks since sunday, but i think i'll have
> to write at least MILO installer to that dinstall-script and look, what
> i can do about that reboot/halt binary. I'll have to look it with SRM too
> as i have ARC installed at the moment ....
>
> -- upi@iki.fi -- http://www.iki.fi/upi/
>
> --

  * Kári Davíðsson                    *                               *
  * Opiskelijankatu 4 F 330           *                               *
  * 33720 Tampere                     *     Your advertisement here.  *
  * Finland                           *     Low prices.               *
  * Tel: + 358-(0)50-5225153          *                               *
  * d154402@cs.tut.fi                 *	                              *