Re: EGCS 1.0 is out

On Thursday,  4 Dec, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> I'm ftp'ing it right now.  Is somebody making a package out of it?  If so,
> I'll hold off on installing it now if the release date for the package is
> before the end of the month.

Yes, Galen Hazelwood is the guy who packs egcs.  I don't think that the
packaged version is expected to be out really soon - see debian-devel on this.
I've been happily living with raw snapshots (installed under /usr/local)
for months; when I needed the old gcc, I just used /usr/bin/gcc.  There
is a problem with programs written in C++, which get built with egcs'
libstdc++, thus depending on unreleased stuff (in Debian).  They should
be explicitly told in Makefile or debian/rules to link statically to
libstdc++ in order to be releaseable as Debian packages.  (That's how
the menu package was built.)

	Nikita