Re: Debian-Alpha port ideas...please read (long)

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> I'm torn on this issue.  On one hand, the "g" designation isn't really
> needed on our end and has already caused some problems on my system at
> least (not to mention on the dselectability of the tree on master).  On
> the other hand, I understand the need to keep things "consistent" from a
> unified source point of view.  That's why I figured I'd ask around here to
> see what everyone else thought.

Since you're asking for opinions...

Let me see if I understand the issue correctly.

* The i86 folks are switching to glibc, from the old Linux C library.
* The new library is not compatible with the old library, and so needs to be
  distinguished strongly -- anything depending on the old one just won't work
  with the new one.
* Alpha folks have been using gnu libc all along.  There's no incompatability;
  the only reason to switch the names is to be consistent with the i86 folks.
  Packages linked against non-g versions of libraries will in fact work with
  the g versions -- the dependency mechanism just thinks they won't.

So, the big reasons for Alpha folks *not* to use the "g" is (1) aesthetics,
and (2) compatability with packages compiled before the renaming.  Right?

Is it possible for us to package a version that is, say, named with the "g",
but is labeled such that it *provides* the non-g version?  That would let
packages depend on either without a problem.  Similarly, a non-g version could
claim to provide the g version, with the same result.

If that's possible, then the only real things influencing the choice are
aesthetics and accross-the-board compatability.  It's a close call, but I'd
have to go with compatability and go for the "g" version as default -- as long
as the non-g version was "provided".

Or do I not correctly understand how Debian package dependancies work?  I
admit, I haven't yet built a package myself.

--
Doug DeJulio                         | mailto:ddj@aisb.org
Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria | http://www.aisb.org/~ddj/