Re: Good news re: man-db

Christopher C Chimelis <chris@beezer.med.miami.edu> writes:

[ Sorry for the time warped reply ]

> > Thank about what happens if you just move, e.g. ncurses to libc6
> > without providing a libc5-based ncurses to go with it...  [...]
>
> I know this...I was just being silly (hence the :P).  Sorry if I
> didn't make that clear.

No, my fault, I should have read it better.

> > if the alpha port (and any other architectures which don't need
> > libc5) had pointed out a little earlier that they didn't want or
> > need the libc5 stuff, things might not be such a mess now.
>
> I know, we should've spoken up, but in all fairness, there are quite
> a few non-maintainer-status people working on this project right
> now.  At least in my case, I didn't feel really "qualified" to make
> such a suggestion to established maintainers when I was just getting
> up to speed as far as package maintenance.

IMHO, you should speak up.  The level of "qualification" necessary to
become a maintainer these days has dropped dramatically thanks to
debmake and friends, and more often than not non-i386 maintainers are
a lot more clueful than ``real'' developers.

And in any event, I've found the vast majority of maintainers rarely
think about any other architecture than their own; if you see
something that will adversely affect your architecture, shout and
shout loud.

--
James