Re: Good news re: man-db

Christopher C Chimelis <chris@beezer.med.miami.edu> writes:

> I only decided to do this AFTER learning that alot of the other
> maintainers are, for some strange reason, orienting their packages
> towards libc6 AND libc5-cross-compiling systems.....go figure.  Why
> they couldn't just move on up is beyond me :P

Thank about what happens if you just move, e.g. ncurses to libc6
without providing a libc5-based ncurses to go with it...

The ``strange reason'' the maintainers decided do this is the libc6
migration text which has been around, as policy, since July and been
used in draft form for months before that; if the alpha port (and any
other architectures which don't need libc5) had pointed out a little
earlier that they didn't want or need the libc5 stuff, things might
not be such a mess now.  I don't envy you guys filing bug reports on
every shared lib package that has been upgraded to libc6.

Guenter Geiger <geiger@iem.mhsg.ac.at> writes:

> I pointed this out to the maintainer of xfree, he said he will
> include my patches in his next release (3.3-8).  What I did to make
> xfree work:
>
>    - adding -D_REENTRANT
> 	- adding -libcrypt for xdm
>    - improve include file handling in xterm
>    - removed xlib5 compiling for architectures not i386

*Argh*.  m68k needs the libc5 stuff.  (I already told Mark this once)

--
James