Re: Bug reports, patches and other stuff

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19970909001010.60754@snowball.ucd.ie> you wrote:
> New folks looking to try Debian
> alpha are going to pull the bits from the mirrors like ftp.debian.org, and if
> what they find doesn't work, they're going to go away and run something else.
> We really must figure out how to always have our best-effort bits in "the
> usual place" if we're going to build a critical mass and succeed.

As one of these "new people" (I am not a Debian Alpha developer, nor do
I even have my first Debian Alpha system started yet) I have to agree.
It took me quite a while to "clue in" and realize that master didn't
carry everything that had been developed to date.  I almost did go
elsewhere (RedHat) until I posted here asking if certain packages were
available.  Once I was assured that they are available, but just
haven't made it to master yet, I decided to stick around and wait
until the install disks were ready.

However, it could have easily gone the other way ... if the Alpha
system I am waiting to start working on were ready earlier, I might
have gone with RedHat because it was the only system that appeared to
have everything I needed.

Ben.
--
      Ben Armstrong                -.       Medianet Development Group,
      BArmstrong@dymaxion.ca         `-.    Dymaxion Research Limited