Re: Alpha packages

> On Aug 30, Marc Singer wrote
> > It seems to me that there is a critical path for development.
> > Before we can port the niceties such as X, we need the compiler,
> > libraries, and binutils.
>
> How do you think X got there if we didn't have the compiler, libraries
> and binutils? :-)

Oh, yes.  I understand that many of the program are working.  The
confusing part is that the GCC for libgnuc is not on the master site.
I got the beezer files and am trying, again, to configure a machine
that I can use to recompile packages.

> I mean, sure, there's libraries that probably haven't been recompiled
> yet, but those get recompiled as needed.
>
> > Too, it seems to me that these should be simple recompiles, no?
>
> Not necessarily.  Linux-Alpha-ELF is not yet a target in any released
> gcc---support exists only as a patchset derived from gcc-2.7.2.1.

There is another GCC out.  2.7.2.2?  I forget the new number.
Linux-Alpha there?

> And, to clarify a bit the stuff about libg++, the problem seems to be
> with the current patched gcc's c++ support, rather than libg++
> itself.  Obviously at some point in the past I was able to recompile
> libg++.  I now am not.  I can't say for certain what's at fault, since
> quite a bit changed.
>
> > In reading the Debian FAQ, it looks as if it is organized as one
> > package, one maintainer.  Don't we have one package, one
> > architecture, one maintianer?
>
> Yes, but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.  There's lots
> of talk (but unfortunately little action) about having non-Intel
> machines that primary maintainers could log into for the purposes of
> recompiling packages.

Sounds like a job for the debian master site.

> > I'm looking into the approved-developer thing and hope to accomplish
> > it next week.  I have a couple of idle UDBs and can set them
> > compiling.
>
> Great.

I've beein trying to get to azstarnet and gatekeeper.dec.com.  Neither
is running.  Are there mirrors of their resources?  I checked redhat
and a few other likely places, but didn't come up with anything.

-- Oscar