'installation kit'

Hi,

As i promised, at least to someone, yesterday, i'll put available
the work i have done for 'installation kit'.
I really think that it's not finnished, but it's at least a start.

it's available in ftp://gorba.lpt.fi/debian/disks-alpha/current/

Basically:

- get a MILO for your system and read some docs, for example
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/RHL-4.2-Users-Guide-HTML/ \
manual/doc096.html

- boot the rescue with

MILO> boot fd0:vmlinux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

- follow the instructions and you are done, but the current 'reboot' doesn't
do the job, so press 'ctrl-alt-del' in suitable moment and you'll get MILO-
prompt again.

- boot your system from HD with the vlinux.gz in it.

If you are using the dselect, you'll end up quite unusable system as
there are too many libc6 dependend packages in the hamm/hamm/binary-alpha.
Actually first package the dselect grabs IS libc6 :(

At least i don't remeber, as writing this, anything else.

The kernel includes the patch from
ftp://ftp.azstarnet.com/pub/linux/axp/sys/axp-diffs-2.0.30.gz
Who knows, what patches 2.0.30/axp _really_ needs?

The rescue for noname doesn't include TGA or MSS, but i am compiling
one as i write this. I'll test it in my noname and if it's working,
i'll replace the generic noname with the multia-compatible one (one hour or so).

The current kernel has NCR8XX (bsd) and Qlogic ISP for SCSI (as i got signal 6
from Buslogic drivers) and NE*000, DE4X5 and TULIP for netowrk. There
is also IDE support in the kernel. CDROM is enabled for IDE/SCSI and there
is TAPE enabled for SCSI too.

PPP is in the kernel and IP-forwarding is enabled, but i don't know if that
is working at all.

In prosess generating those floppies, i have been desperate many times, but
the feeling you get after it's working, wipes everything away :) Let this
be my first contribution for NET community, but not the last one. I have
been using 'free' software for years and all the time looked for way to
pay back .....

-- upi@iki.fi -- http://www.iki.fi/upi/