console funnies

Oh, by the way, the base.tgz file leaves you with a system that works fine from
the console.  Somewhere in the process of installing .deb files (perhaps the
sysvinit package?) I managed to break my system so that init complains that
getty is respawning too rapidly on the console, and gives up.  I can still
log in over the network, so it's not too bad, but I'd be pleased if someone
wants to figure this out and let me know what's broken and how to fix it.

Bdale