Re: DPKG not compiling due to differences between Alpha and Intel...

David S. Miller writes ("Re: DPKG not compiling due to differences between Alpha and Intel..."):
> For compatability reasons the sa_restorer is still checked, if it is
> non-null the stack save state is thrown wherever that points to.  So
> it seems not a bad idea to set it to NULL in your application.
> *However* I would imagine that H.J. sets it to null on purpose in libc
> to get the new behavior.  I would check the libc sources before doing
> this.

I'm afraid I don't have time for that at the moment - perhaps Dominik
Kubla, who was the person trying to get it to compile on the alpha,
could do my research for me ?

> As a point of reference, I just looked at bash, to check things out.
> All it cares about is whether signal handlers return void or int, it
> makes no reference to sa_restorer or similar and works.  Make whatever
> conclusions you want...  I suggest checking out libc directly or
> contacting H.J. Liu for the real scoop.

It would be nice of course if this kind of thing were documented in a
manpage, rather than us having to ask HJ !

If there's no motion on this I'll probably get around to updating the
manpage myself at some point, but I'm just as busy as everyone else so
it won't get done soon :-).

Does anyone know what POSIX says on this issue ?

Ian.