Re: JDK

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Do you need the compiler or the VM? Since the JDK is non-free, I would suggest
> to spend time on jikes, gcj or kaffe, instead.

After a volley or two of messages, it's far more likely that we'll see gcj
in the very near future as the first really workable compiler.  Jikes and
Kaffe already compile fine, but are a little lacking without the classes
behind them.

I'm testing gcc 2.95 right now, which include gcj and also am about to
compile libgcj to see how that goes.  Unfortunately, gcc is now a
"can-o-worms" when it comes to packaging (thanks to the wonderful, but
sometimes annoying multilib support).