RE: compag fortran compilers

On 10-Jul-99 Luke Shulenburger wrote:
> I downloaded the compaq fortran compilers a couple weeks ago when they
> were only available in rpm format.  I attempted to install using alien,
> but ran into serious dependency problems, so I bailed.  I checked again
> today and I found that they had put debian packages on their ftp site
> which I promptly downloaded (I really need these compilers).  Upon trying
> to install them I ran into a dependency problem that seemed less than
> trivial to me.  I am running slink, which uses libc6.1 version
> 2.0.7.something and the compilers require version 2.1.  I noticed that
> potato contains libc6.1 version 2.1, but needless to say dpkg spit that
> one out when I tried to install it on my slink based system.  I'm a bit
> afraid to just try to grab the source and install the new library because
> I have heard nightmare stories about people who have done that and then
> their entire system did not work.  Could someone suggest a course of
> action?  Do I need to install potato?

In any case, the only package manager that can handle 2.0->2.1 for Debian is
apt.  Try availing yourself of its options; the binary is called "apt-get".
Going to unstable isn't so bad, if you update when its dependencies are
reconcilable.  There's also an apt-get 'chooser' out there now in beta, which
might be even more useful after you install apt(-get), as apt itself won't let
you choose individual packages but only the "upgrade" option via cli.  Sorry, I
can't remember the name of the apt-chooser, but I'm fairly certain I remember
it turning up on Freshmeat.

Big dummyhead that I am, I just became reacquainted with apt > dpkg,
categorically, with the perl 5.004->5 upgrade, which is in progress as I type.
If only I had looked at the perl dpkg description earlier... ;)

Hope this smoothes the way for you, Luke.