SHMMAX, cdrecord, kernel

I can't use cdrecord on my alpha box, because the default value for SHMMAX
in the kernel sources is 0x3fa000, but cdrecord needs at least 4MB
(0x4000000).

I've seen that I can  change this value 'on the fly' thrue the file
/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax. But is there a reason for setting this to the
value of 0x3fa000, or can I change it without any risk ? Where is this
value coming from ? (The default value on i386 is 32 MB).

[ Xavier Montagutelli          0--0                                     ]
[ INSA Toulouse - Dpt de Mathematiques   Tel: +33 5 61 55 93 38         ]
[ Complexe scientifique de Rangueil      Fax: +33 5 61 55 93 20         ]
[ 31077 Toulouse Cedex 4                 Mel: montagut@gmm.insa-tlse.fr ]